The Ontario Genealogical Society is seeking a new full-time employee.
- The Library Technician will be responsible for placing material on the Society's website and for managing our library, which is in the process of being digitized.
- He/she may occasionally operate scanning equipment such as book scanners, sheet feed scanners, photographic copy stands, and microform scanners, and occasionally use digitizing programs such as Adobe Acrobat and Abbyy Finereader.
- Training would be provided on this equipment. The job is centred in the Society's Toronto office but may require occasional travel to other parts of Ontario.
- The Society has volunteer librarians and library technicians available for advice and discussions.
- The Library Technician must be able to give advice to non-technical people. He/she will be responsible for technical advice to all parts of the Society.
- This is a one year contract position with possibility of extension.
- The job requires the ability to manage a small, specialist library. Comfort with a computer (Windows based) is essential.
- Familiarity with databases and how data is made available on a website is essential.
- A driver's license (G Class or better) is required.
- Familiarity with genealogy and with archival documents would be pluses.
- This position requires the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- High proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing English required. Ability in other languages would be a plus.
- The ability to train and communicate with non-technical people is essential.
- An ability to keep up to date in this and related fields and an ability to pass this new knowledge on to others is essential.
- A community college diploma or university degree is required.
- Two years' experience in a related field is preferred.
- The Library Technician must be able to stand for prolonged periods of time (up to four hours) and safely lift a 35-pound box.
Salary: $30 000 to $35 000
Closing Date: 2009 Apr 24
Please submit a resume to:
OGS appreciates all applications but only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Please, no phone calls.
Post a Comment